Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Beet and black bean patty sandwich




Making healthy sandwiches was a challenge for me. Trying to avoid store bought patty and burger was not an option. So, what kind of patty could I make was the question? Since I had lots of fresh farmer’s market bought organic beet lying in my fridge, I decided to make some beet patty. Beets are included in my weekly vegetable list as they are high in immune-boosting vitamin C, fiber, and essential minerals like potassium.



The ingredients for this patty are very few. You will need :
1 large beet
 ½ cup of oat flour (I made mine by grinding steel cut organic oats into flour)
1 cup boiled black beans (I tend to avoid canned ones since they have a lot of preservative and sodium in it)
1 or 2 green chilis
 ½ tsp of cumin coriander powder
Salt to taste

All you do is grate the beet and boil the black beans and mash them with your hand of coarsely grind them in a chopper/blender. Add the oat flour with finely chopped chili, coriander cumin powder and salt to taste. Bind the patty well with your hand and bake them in the pre-heated oven at 400 F for about 7-8 minutes and flip them as they change color. You don't want to keep them in the oven for too long as they will be dry from inside. 


Use them in a multigrain bread sandwich with artichoke spread and veggies of your choice. 



No comments:

Post a Comment