Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Live to eat and yet stay healthy. अन्न हे पुर्ण ब्रह्म

Live to eat and yet stay healthy. अन्न हे पुर्ण ब्रह्म 


My love for food started when I was pretty young and mostly because my family is extremely fond of eating. We all live to eat rather than eat to live. And, I think my love for food began because of all the tasty and scrumptious meals my mom has been feeding me all these years. I always had a passion for cooking, but that flourished in the literal sense only when I came to the US and started cooking on my own.

I remember cooking small meals or baking cakes out of recipe books and helping my mom cook sometimes, but my major learning happened by watching my mom cook. It was merely observation and eating with the curiosity to find out what went inside the dish.

Once I started cooking on my own in my own kitchen, I started understanding the importance of measurements and little quirks about different cuisines. More importantly, I started to cook more because my husband Kedar loves to eat like me and I liked the small praises for the food I cooked. Of course, initially I did think e was just trying to be NICE to me, but then he started telling me to start a blog, which I finally started today after more than 7 years of marriage.

Over the years we realized that eating unhealthy is not worth it, and I started making variations in the foods that I cooked and now I think we still enjoy all kinds of food but with a hint of healthy, yet tasty meals.

Today, we avoid fried and greasy foods in our meals and somehow we don’t seem to miss them in our diet. We have switched to organic meats and eating more green leafy veggies and that makes me wonder why I never ate them when I was young.

Eating healthy does not always mean eating boring dull food. I know we can make it interesting and tasty with little compromises and more variations. Today, with the amount of processed foods that we get in stores, and with the growing number of junk food chains, we are aware of the harms caused to our body. So, why not make small changes in our food intake and better our health for the future?

I have learned most of my basic recipes from my mom and rest all I have adapted from the internet, friends and family and have revised them according to our taste and liking. After all, taste preferences matter a lot on an individual level.




No comments:

Post a Comment