Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Modak



Steamed Modak











Every Ganpati festival, as a child, I remember going to my grandmom’s house with all my cousins and celebrating Ganesh Chaturthi. As the days of ganpati festival drew near, the air filled with sound of dhols and tashas. Apart from the decorations, bringing the ganesh murti home, and singing aartis, the best part was ‘making modaks’.

This sweet, melting in your mouth delicacy is liked by everyone. Right from my childhood, I have seen my mom and all my aunts make this delicacy. 

As the years went by, I moved to the U.S and I started making them on my own in my own kitchen. Though it might seem intimidating, but making modaks is not that difficult. Of course, nothing can beat the care by which my grandma would soak the finest rice and dry it to grind it to a fine flour. This process ensures a fine flour that makes the modak covering stiff that does not break easily. These days I buy the rice flour that is available in the Indian store.  




For 2 people, you will need:

2 katoris shredded coconut
1 katori jaggery powder
¼ katori sugar
1 ½ katori water
1 tsp oil
2 katoris rice flour
Pinch of cardammom powder

For the filling, you will first need to add the jaggery, sugar and coconut mix in a pot and wait till it melts and cook till all the separated water starts reducing and turn off heat just as the jaggery-sugar and coconut mix starts getting dry. Cool it off and then add a pinch of cardamom powder. Keep this aside.

In a different pot, take 1 ½ katoris of water and wait till it starts boiling. Add the oil and a hint of salt in it and cover with lid. As soon as it starts boiling, add the rice flour and turn off heat and cover with lid.

Wait for 5 mins and uncover and mix the rice flour and form a soft dough. Use the dough and make modaks- taking a ping pong size ball of dough and filling in a spoonful of filling.




Flatten the rice flour ball with your fingers and fill in the jaggery mix. 




After filling in the jaggery mixture, you will start folding corners by pinching the rice flour mix with two fingers.




Now, gather all the folds together and the modak is ready. Steam the modaks in an idli cooker for 15 mins and serve with home-made ghee.





No comments:

Post a Comment