Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Moist and delicious dark chocolate and Beet cake:

Beet raita is one of my favorite among all raitas. Till now, I remember eating beet only in the form of raitas or steamed and cut into cubes. One day I read an interesting recipe using beets in a cake and the idea just fascinated me and I had to try this one out and not once, but twice in succession. This recipe is adapted from green kitchen stories a blog about healthy vegetarian cooking. Of course, I have made some changes according to my palateJ
The original recipe asks for sunflower or coconut oil, but I used olive oil once and the second time I used vegetable oil. Both worked great.

The best part about this cake is that it does not contain sugar nor butter and yet it tastes so moist and heavenly.




Adapted from: Green kitchen stories

Ingredients:
1/3 cup vegetable oil/olive oil
½ cup honey
50 g dark chocolate (70%)
2 cups raw grated beetroots
1 egg
1 ½ cup multigrain/ wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp cocoa powder without sugar
1 pinch salt

Mix all the dry ingredients-wheat/multigrain baking flour, salt, baking powder, and cocoa powder in a small bowl and keep aside.
Take a pot and warm the oil on low heat and add the dark chocolate cubes to the oil. Turn off heat once the chocolate starts melting and then add honey while it is still warm. Add the grated beets and then add the whisked egg to this mixture. 
Start adding the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients slowly and then mix with a spoon. Pour in a greased baking mould and bake in a pre-heated oven on 350 F for about 25 minutes. This is a pretty moist cake so it won’t be completely dry on the outside too.




4 comments:

  1. Fantastic idea !!! Beets have natural sugar and you use honey. No processed white sugar. Love it!! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife made this for my Birthday. It was easily one of the most delicious cakes I have ever had without feeling "guilty". The coco and beet flavours surprisingly complement each other extremely well. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummmm.. am surely going to try this one..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab! I'm a fan of anything made without sugar so will definetely try this one. Merci beaucoup ma cherie :-)

    ReplyDelete